Statistics Tutoring Ex. Linear Regression Regents
Do you know how to calculate linear regression by heart? If you do not, this post will help you enter this data in a calculator and successfully produce the correct linear regression equation.
Hit STAT — > EDIT– > EDIT You should See lists. Enter the data for the x values into the first list, and the data for the y values for the second list.
Hit STAT — > CALC — > Scroll down to choice 4. LinReg(ax+b) and hit enter.
This produces a Linear Regression equation with a=1.9 b= 29.79, r^2 =0.113
R = 0.337
Y= 1.917 X + 29.79 —– Linear Regression Equation
Y= 1.9X + 29.8 —– Linear Regression Equation rounded to the nearest tenth
What do the R and R^2 values mean in statistics?
R squared – the STRENGTH of Association.
R- how LINEAR the association is and DIRECTION.
- Exactly –A perfect downhill (negative) linear relationship
- –70. A strong downhill (negative) linear relationship
- –50. A moderate downhill (negative) relationship
- –30. A weak downhill (negative) linear relationship
- No linear relationship
- +0.30.A weak uphill (positive) linear relationship
- +0.50.A moderate uphill (positive) relationship
- +0.70.A strong uphill (positive) linear relationship
- Exactly +1.A perfect uphill (positive) linear relationship